Wednesday, April 28, 2010

New movie!

Okay, it's been a long time since I've written anything. I feel obligated to the world wide interwebs to write something new.

I've had a few ideas (for blog posts).

I'm going to post about my new film, first.

I'm making a new film! I'll post more details on the film as I move further along in pre-production. Right now, I have a second draft of a screenplay, and my friend Brian's working on the third draft. It'll be a short one, only about five minutes long (tops). I am excited about this film because the goals of this film are really quite different than the goals of my last few films.

I naturally tend to gravitate towards seeing myself as an entertainer, when it comes to my films. In the past, I haven't really tried viewing what I am creating as a work of art. Mainly because in film school I saw a bunch of kids who were doing nothing but blatantly ripping off all of the latest "artistic" trends and calling it art. I got kind of fed up with their pretentious attitudes. My "entertainer" tendencies probably have a lot to do with this. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a good thing to always have the audience in mind. When you forget that you're making a film for an audience, it becomes totally inaccessible and means nothing to everybody in the world except you.

With that said, I am also beginning to recognize the value, as a filmmaker, in seeing myself as an artist in addition to an entertainer. When I focus too much on making things flashy and fun to watch (my crutch) my films begin to lack substance and, as a director, I breathe no life into the film. I don't give the film that extra heart it needs, that can only come from me, that would move it from being a pretty good film, to a great film.

So, that's my goal for my next movie. To truly put myself into it, express myself as an artist, and be more intentional than I ever have before. Kind of general sounding goals, I know, but for me they're just right.

As I said, I'll be posting more on the movie and what it's about in the months to come! Stay tuned!

2 comments: